Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 1: A new beginning

            There’s something about new beginnings especially when your heart is into it.  It’s exciting and somehow, the lingering fears are diminished by the possibility of attaining a significant achievement in the end. 
Today, I’m starting a new journey to achieve the best shape that I’ve ever been in my life.  I may not look overweight since I always strategically and fashionably wear clothes fit for my curves (that’s what I call it anyway) and wear super high heels (one which I’m known for) but I finally decided to take action when the figures from our office Health Fair revealed my health status.  My first thought was, “Seriously?! I’ve never gotten that before.”  I don’t usually weigh myself except at the doctor’s office so this surprisingly became my wake up call. 
  I understand that I needed a lifestyle change.  See, fitness was just a phase for me.  I’d work out 3-5 times a week for three months and then have a sedentary lifestyle for the next three months.  This time was different, though.  Instead of my usual three month hiatus, I didn’t work-out for over six months.  I even joked about my weight to others.  I’d say, “I’m extremely overweight! I have to watch what I eat and exercise.”  Everyone would kindly say that I shouldn’t be too concerned about the figures as long as I eat healthier and work-out.  Bless their hearts.
I researched various gyms and programs that may suit my ever-changing workout interest.  I was looking for something fun, not repetitively boring, and high intensity where I can burn a lot of calories within a short time period.  I picked up running again and doing it outdoors made it interesting.  When I used the treadmill in the gym on a rainy day, I raised the incline and read the latest fashion magazine while power walking.  It still wasn’t enough to satisfy my craving to be in better shape.
I researched the zumba classes around the area since I love to dance (but never get a chance to do anymore).  That’s when my friend recommended Kazaxe/Bootcamp.  It looked like a lot of fun and the price was unbeatable.  I checked it out late-June, took a break for a couple of weeks in July, and have been going four times a week since then.  I enjoyed it so much that I highly recommended it to everyone.  My family and friends immediately knew that this is my new passion, just like acting.  I make time for it no matter how hectic my schedule can be and I do it because it gives me pleasure.  I’ve been going to the Underground for almost two months now and it has become a part of my routine, so much so that my 9-year old son can pronounce Kazaxe correctly.
On the first few days I brought him with me, he watched the bootcamp class and concernedly said, “The instructor gave them pain.”  I just laughed and thought to myself:  no pain, no gain, right?
With my typical “May” snap decisions (ie, I see something I’m interested in and jump in no matter how difficult or impossible the chances may be – wish I also had that much courage with dating), I decided to sign up for the 60-day bootcamp challenge.  I’ve only done the KZX bootcamp twice, thankfully survived, and told the fitness enthusiasts I know to try it.      
I know that I have the courage to try anything I feel passionate about.  Besides, I’ve been through so much more in life.  I know that I have the strength and capability to do what I must do to achieve my goals no matter what obstacles may come along the way.  I know that it’s mind over body. 
         
I feel grateful to have this opportunity to renew myself with a great support system from family, friends, coaches, and others who are going through the same journey right now.  I am aware that some days will be tougher than others but I will continue with all my heart until the end for I know that anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment